GLOSS Activities and Technical Training
GLOSS activities now include a large number of regional projects and products, and a range of international training courses and materials. The Implementation Plan 1997 provides a review of activities.
Training on 'How to Operate a Tide Gauge' is available as part of the IOC Manuals available from the PSMSL training page, and a manual on 'How to Operate GPS at Gauge Sites' is planned. The present manuals are also available in CDROM form from the PSMSL.
Training courses and workshops on sea level measurement and interpretation have been held at least annually since 1983 covering tide gauge installation, maintenance and operation; data reduction of sea level observations; geodetic fixing of tide gauge benchmarks; uses of sea level data in scientific analysis and practical coastal applications; and data exchange. Since 1993, the emphasis has been given to the training in computer-based data analysis within HOTS (Hands On Training Sessions), and to the application of the results to studies of regional and local processes and for practical purposes.
Training courses/workshops have been held in the UK (annually 1983-1990), China (1984), France (1990), Brazil (1993), India (1995), Argentina (1996), UK (1997), South Africa (1998), Brazil (1999), Saudi Arabia (2000), Chile (2003), Malaysia (2004), Japan (2006), Belgium (2006) and Puerto Rico (2008). Course reports on paper are available via the GLOSS Technical Secretary at IOC, while those available electronically are:
- Caribbean course, Puerto Rico 2008 (686 kB)
- Oostende course, Belgium 2006 (372 kB)
- Japan Meteorological Agency course 2006 (227 kB)
- Kuala Lumpur course 2004 (516 kB)
- Servicio Hidrografico y Oceanografico de la Armada de Chile course 2003 (284 kB)
- PERSGA/ALESCO training workshop, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia 2000 (92 kB)
- University of Sao Paulo course 1999 (149 kB)
- University of Cape Town course 1998 (1.4 MB)
- Proudman Oceanographic Laboratory course 1997 (1.3 MB)
- Buenos Aires, Argentina course 1996 (210 kB)
- Survey of India Dehra Dun course 1995 (157 kB)
- University of Sao Paulo course 1993 (1 MB)